Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nobody needs 800 photos of themselves.

I'm pretty happy about how I've changed around social media.

Regarding my personal profile:

Within the last week, I untagged myself from approximately 800 photos. Nobody needs 800 photos of themselves anywhere. Get this... for photos that others have tagged you in, you have to click through three screens each to remove the tag. That's 2400 clicks. It took me awhile. (However, for photos in which you have tagged yourself, no such option appears - you have to somehow intuit that you should hover the cursor over your name so that a "remove tag" bubble appears.)

While it might be easy to connect on Facebook, they go to some insidious lengths to make it hard as anything to disconnect. I get a little skeeved out about an internet service that wants you to put your info up and then actively works to confuse you when you try to get it down.

I deleted all of the photos and albums I had personally created. I took down all my cover photos and profile pictures, but I did upload my little cartoon avatar that my sister drew for fun a few years back.

The best change I made, though, was limiting tags. You can set your profile so that Facebook has to wait for your explicit permission in order to post stuff to your profile - other peoples' statuses and photos, these days. Honestly, I don't know why everyone wouldn't do this.

I find it's useful mostly for personal limitation. Whenever someone posts a photo to my profile, it gets a bunch of likes or comments, and that's what'll keep me coming back to Facebook. I gotta see who liked it or commented on it. Duh. This way, I can still see the photo, but it's not connected to my profile for all time and it doesn't get automatically shared.

PLUS, step two: tag Em McKeever [Music] and then share it on that profile, instead of my personal profile. Because that's where I want my traffic going. I don't care much for my personal profile, other than a tool to manage groups and pages, and as the entity that can actually invite people to events.

No comments:

Post a Comment