Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I ignore the obvious, and how did I get so good at it?

I am massively inspired by videogame music. Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo... the way they bring series like Final Fantasy and Zelda to life... the intense nostalgia that returns anytime I hear their songs...

In high school, I spent hours crafting my own music electronically in Cakewalk. Each is its own journal entry. Each is its own small bubble of personal history. Each was carefully considered and followed some sense of musical intuition; I could barely write fast enough to keep up with the ideas as they came.

I hate that I like it, because I live at odds with technology. I don't like this culture or this lifestyle that's so heavily reliant on technology, primarily because of a care for the planet and a sense that technology removes me from that planet. How can a love of electronic music trump something much more organic like songwriting with pen and paper and guitar?

These questions don't change the fact that when I'm composing electronically, I completely lose myself in the joy of the chase.

Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Cognitive dissonance can be so hard to deal with sometimes.

    When I am confronted by similar conundrums, I like to think about Siddharta Gautama's response to asceticism. He said that an absolute negation of worldly pleasures is not necessary and simply unhealthy. Rather, indulging in pleasurable activities is ok if done mindfully and in moderation - the so-called middle path. So, I would say enjoy electronic music (as I do), while remaining aware the problems that the abundance of and over-reliance on technology poses.

    I think it also bears mentioning that guitars – though more organic than computers, say – utilize very technologically advanced (in the grand scheme of things) elements. Unless there is a steel-wound nylon string tree that I don’t know about. Maybe keeping that in mind will weaken the dichotomy between organic and inorganic music/instruments and allow you to enjoy your passion in electronic music more.

    P.S. I’m digging Goin’ Nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stoppin' by and leaving me an encouraging note! :)

    That's a good frame of mind, I think - living intentionally, knowing the implications of your actions, but not going overboard in eschewing things simply because.

    And you're absolutely right about guitars and guitar strings not being as "organic" as I think.

    Here's to hoping 2012 will feature more electronic compositions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping indeed. You could also get crazy (ha! get it!) and mash up styles a la Jacaszek(http://www.npr.org/2011/11/27/142705348/first-listen-jacaszek-glimmer).

    Looking forward to seeing you play live.

    ReplyDelete