Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I want to tell you a story.

When I was a kid, I wanted a trophy. I wanted a trophy so badly. I don't know how I got the notion that I wanted a trophy, but darnit, I wanted a trophy.

The next thing I know, I'm on this soccer team. I don't remember if I asked, or if my parents convinced me that I would get a trophy if I joined the team. Anyway, I'm in first grade and on this soccer team.

Turns out even in the first grade, I was pretty much a nonconformist. In a very short period of time, I noticed that most of the kids were out chasing the ball. In a huge mass. I also noticed that I was not necessarily the fastest of the kids, so my chances of getting control of the ball were slim to nil.

In short order, I decided that my skills were needed elsewhere, like, being on defense.

I have a lot of memories of getting yelled at for doing my own thing. Such as the defense shenanigans. Or maybe the one time when I FINALLY GOT CONTROL OF THE BALL! And then tried to kick it into my own goal.

Basically, we didn't get trophies that year.


Still, though. There's something really disheartening when folks continually yell at you just for being you. I really had no clue what I was doing out on the field, but I thought I was doing pretty good. In all honesty. I was using my brain! Unlike all the other kids who were chasing the ball in a mindless mass. Puh-lease.


So here's me, trying to sing.

Here's me, through high school, knowing I can carry a tune and even harmonize, but feeling vaguely like I shouldn't try.

Here's me, through college, discovering I was right about carrying tunes, and getting assigned to the alto 2 section of glee, thereby cementing in my mind that I should never try to sing high, because the college people put me in the alto section and they must know what they're doing.

Here's me, after college, writing more and more songs. I believed that my voice was actually fairly unlovely, but the songs needed to come OUT, and they're my babies and I couldn't see asking someone else to sing them for me.

Here's me, now. Having been coached, one-on-one, concerning my vocals for the very first time.

I found out that most of what I believed about myself is total garbage.

And I just feel like a completely new person.

I feel like somebody finally saw this crazy kid running around on the soccer field doing all the wrong things... told her not to be down because the coach yells at her... told her that she is a good soccer player, gave her a focus, and stepped up her game.

Granted, yes, I have work to do.

But I know how to get the trophy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment