Sunday, February 19, 2012

Contra Dancing!

(I'm double-posting. I don't care.)

I'm happy to say that I've joined up as a board member for the Arden contra dance, which is my "home" contra dance by virtue of the fact that it is the closest dance. 30 minutes is pretty close... by my own informal research, an hour seems like a typical drive, two hours or more is common for a special dance.

Anywho, so now I'm helping. I like helping. Since I'm pretty good at internet, I took over interneting. I had to think for a hot minute about a page versus a group for the contra dance facebook presence, and I went with a group.

It took me about a week of serious thought and research (e.g. poking around on the internet) to get to that point. It seemed counter to the social media training and intuition I've got. When I took over things for the park, it was... kind of a mess. By "mess," I mean that there were a few different groups and no fan page for the park. No one seemed to understand what the difference was between the two, and to be fair, it took awhile for the differences to emerge in actual user experience. Very basically, pages are what you use if you're a business. Groups are what you use if you're a community.

The park needed a page; contra dances need groups. Simply put. I'll be happy to explain in detail if you care to know why.

So it's over here! Yay!

I also will be doing some e-mail list stuff. And, obviously, I hope to get more folks involved. I'm not just talking about my friends - I go back and forth between feeling like I'm harassing folks versus doing them a disservice by not including them. All I'm trying to do is make more people aware that you can get three hours of live music, exercise, culture, dance instruction, awesome people, and fun for only ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment