Tuesday, January 11, 2011

FAWM: going after inspiration... with a club.



Michael and I are trying to gather together Delaware (and Delaware-area) songwriters to participate in FAWM, or February Album Writing Month. It's a songwriting challenge; write 1 song every 2 days in February, you end up with 14 songs (about an album's worth).

I managed to complete this challenge last year, and it was amazing. I already had a good pile of songs, but most of my current original repertoire is a direct result of FAWM. The thing that snagged me about FAWM, and the thing that kept me going, was the supportive online community they've built up around it. FAWMers are great -- they come from all different countries and all types of musical backgrounds. They'll listen to your stuff online and give you honest, constructive feedback (if you like).

Online is good, but... I've always been big on community, and I've always been big on music. I don't think we'll ever be sorry we tried to bring together a group of local artists to encourage and hone one another. Nope. Never.

And that's why we're doin' it. Please consider becoming a part of this growing community of artists and songwriters, even if you don't think you can do FAWM.

For more info, check out this site that Michael threw together. Or check us out on facebook!

(Plus, you can watch me through the month of February as I tackle the challenge myself...)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Em,
    I kind of jumped into the middle of your songwriting last year, but I enjoyed what you were doing (Coffay!). So I am excited to be able to witness this years songwriting from the beginning.

    Steph Dunham

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michael - dude me tooooooooooo... I keep having ideas...

    @Steph - thanks! Yeah, that good old COFFAY... might not have existed without last year's FAWM. Keep yer eyes peeled on that FAWM page, plus we're shooting to have a FAWM showcase in Newark sometime in early March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do! Hehehehehe, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete