Saturday, January 29, 2011

FAWM post #1: the calm before the FAWM

If you missed my intro to FAWM post... ya might wanna catch up.

I have latched onto this FAWM thing like a tick in a dog's ear and I'm not letting go. The proposal, boiled-down, is "hey, let's all write a crapton of music at the same time, and encourage each other while we do it." This is my own philosophy, but when you find a good thing, YOU DON'T LET GO.

Because I feel so snazzy about the whole thing, I'm doing quite a bit of proselytizing. I reckon I'm getting a bit annoying by now, but I'm absolutely shameless. The number one response: "oh, I'm too busy." "I have a lot going on in February."

I interpret this in one of two ways.

Interpretation Number 1: Person is probably not really digging the idea, and/or is annoyed by my constant nagging to do FAWM. Person is trying to find a way to let me down gently and the "busy" excuse always seems to do the trick.

Interpretation Number 2: Person really digs the idea, wants to write music, loves the idea of an encouraging community. Person, however, also has bills to pay.

If you're reading this and you fall into the second category, I have three words for you.

Just.

Do.

It.

Because if you truly feel called to do something (anything!), chances are it will be exciting, enlivening, educational, edifying - but it will not be easy. You'll probably trade in some of your comforts and your complacency. Comfort is great; living the adventure is better.

I fully expect to arrive at March 1st with a sleep deficit, a messy house, some folks I've offended for lack of visitation, and (God willing) 14 brand new songs with which to edify, educate, and commiserate with others. Plus an ever-widening community of local songwriters, some of whom I've hopefully helped to encourage along the way. Plus some new collaborators and partners-in-crime.

Folks who ask, "how can you do that?" are looking only at the first three things I've listed. Looking at the sum total makes me ask in reply, "how could I not?"

Just reminds me of this Hunter S. Thompson quote, one that I think pretty well describes my approach to life, faith, and everything else:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"



(click here to check out my current progress on FAWM.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment