Friday, June 10, 2011

What am I doing, anyway?

I didn't feel like tacking this onto the other blog post.

I miss composing. I miss it a lot. There's nothing stopping me doing it, but I'm just remembering how much I miss it... we can forget sometimes about our original dreams and stuff, and become numb to them without knowing, but I have been messing with some of my old MIDI compositions and that reminds me. And then I heard this guy, John, play at the Palk basement show last night. He played a little on guitar and a little on piano, and it was all good, but his piano stuff was so influenced and inspired by harmonies and tonalities that you don't find in conventional music anymore, stuff from the music degree I worked so hard to earn, and it was like, man. WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING ANYWAY!??!?!?!

My friend Alex has a shirt. He wore it sometimes back when we were both in North Carolina studying music and trying to beat Stephen at games of Pounce. It it black with huge white letters. It says "QUIT WORK MAKE MUSIC." He has been a self-employed music instructor and film composer for years now. Those big white letters haunt me sometimes.

As I was looking up his website just now, I noticed he has this collab up and it's in some kind of competition and frankly, it rocks, so give it a listen...

Anyway, give John's stuff a listen (especially "Paraphrase of a Dream"), and I'll link you to a couple of my refurbished MIDIs which I've been reminiscing over: Mystery and RAVE. I have literally hundreds of little thoughts like these two and they've never been out in the real world before. Jed's videogame was the first thing to ever do that, to get this stuff of mine out.

I need a better sequencing program - Garageband doesn't freaking cut it, like, at all - and I need to seriously go back and practice my classical stuff...

1 comment:

  1. I was really impressed by John's non-conventional piano playing too (: You should consider investing in Logic or ProTools - they are pricey but have good midi sequencers and would allow you to record higher quality demos of songs. there are also midrange programs out there too just for midi..you can torrent Sibelius pretty easily ^_^

    ReplyDelete