Wednesday, July 6, 2011

50/90: The videogame connection

Every musician has founding moments.

One of mine was stumbling across a particular set of MIDI files, compiled by my brother. He'd downloaded hundreds of tracks from various versions of Final Fantasy. As I listened, I just got more and more entranced by the music.

At the same time, my honest-to-God prevailing thought was this: Pff, I could do this!

Nobuo Uematsu has a quote, which I can't find... he essentially believes in writing what sounds good. Which is a LOT LOT LOT different from what you learn when you study composition. Still, studying composition and music theory is really important. As a person who advocates music that sounds good - it's important to also write studies for purely academic purposes and to analyze other musical works.

Anyway, I took this memory and decided to draft ten ideas for short tracks for a made-up RPG I imagined in my mind. Here's the third track.

Click to listen to "Mischief."

I don't think I even like it entirely, but it was SO. FREAKING. FUN. to write.

I love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment