Monday, July 4, 2011

Doubt

All right. I need to stop with this posting-an-entry-then-taking-it-down. Thing.

All's I wanna say is that it seems like I have walked in doubt over my musical gifting for. ev. er. I wanted to say it without seeming like I was whining, too.

I don't think that doubt is always a bad thing. I've had it happen where God took peace away from certain options during times of decision, and it has helped to shepherd me in the right direction.

To be sure, sometimes it is a bad thing. Sometimes doubt needs to be bulldozed.

For me, music is a really broad area. Years of study and all. Not bragging. Just saying... I finally get that my understanding of music is extremely deep and broad, and it's not something that everyone has innately. So when God gives me an instruction like, "hey, go do music"... that's kind of like telling an engineer "hey, go make things."

I think what I've done is confine songwriting to guitar, banjo, lyrics, a set form, a nice melodic line, and some catchy riffs. And I think I'm really unsatisfied in those confines. So if the role of doubt is to bust me out of the four walls I've set around my God-given creativity, that's probably not a terrible thing.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly, Michael, you're not far off the mark there... I had an idea today I think I'll work on...

    ReplyDelete