Friday, February 18, 2011

Dear God, better music plz?

(Warning... I'm approaching a HUGE topic, I know. I can't say everything that needs to be said in this one little entry. Please just bear with me, okay?)

I've been trying to write some non-annoying songs about God.

I'm a musician and a latecomer to faith. Before I was Christian, I'd flip past the Christian radio stations just as fast as I could. Now I still flip past them, just more slowly.

Yes, there is good music out there that celebrates God and His Kingdom. And I don't really have any problem with the fact that there is bad music out there that celebrates God and His Kingdom. I just don't want to listen to it.

Worship is good. Love worship. And yes, worship songs are going to end up being the songs that are more accessible to the performers, so that it can get played more often. There is something to be said for accessibility and a lot to be said for the surrender and submission of self in worship.

But when I write a song purely about God, I find myself pushing a little harder. I want to write stuff that isn't boring, stuff that captures the imagination, stuff that makes you want to listen to it. It should be music that you just can't flip past on the radio.

At the same time, most of what I write about God is not what I consider worship. It's more of a musical journal entry. It's deeply personal. Most of it I've never even played for anyone. Not for lack of wanting, just for lack of an appropriate anyplace to play it.

To be fair - yes, a lot of secular music really annoys me too. Most of what's on the radio, period, is just musical junk food. The Doritos of music, if you will. Ear candy. (Talk about annoying - there is that one song... "do you ever feel like you're a plastic bag... baby you're a firework..." who WRITES this crap!?)

In the end, all music is God's. In the end, I want everything I write to give glory to God's kingdom. I don't want some songs that are "church me" and some songs that are "other me." There's no such thing, because my faith isn't a front. It's God and it's me and we're just taking a walk together for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Christian music is bad. Reallyyyy bad. Try listening to John Mark McMillan or Gungor or Jon Foreman. That stuff is good. Yay ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to write some non-annoying songs about God. - You and me both!

    Maybe God is saying "better music plz" too!

    I agree with Michael about Gungor - just come across them...

    I agree with I don't want some songs that are "church me" and some songs that are "other me." though they are different in function I guess.

    Anyway take this as the first ray of dawn in a glorious new future...

    ReplyDelete